I went shopping on Friday to buy some foods I could eat for the “Eat Like Us for a Day Challenge”. Did you know cocoa rice krispies have soy and gluten ingredients? Did you know that SPAM is top 8 allergen free?
I made some strange discoveries on that day.
Like this: I made Rice Krispy treats and substituted coconut oil for the margarine/butter. Even though margarine is made with vegetable oil there is always whey or other milk products in there. (The exception would be a vegan butter spread like “Good Earth”). Even the one I found that was based on olive oil had soy in it. I didn’t want to pour just straight vegetable oil in, but coconut oil actually sounded tasty.
AND IT WAS!
I was so happy about that. Because I really wanted some treats on Friday, and I didn’t have gluten free cookie mix or even alternative flour on hand.
Everyone liked the addition of coconut oil to the Rice Krispy treats and I think I’m going to make that a permanent change. I just made the perfect food even better. Ha.
Rice Krispy Treats (top 8 allergen free)
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 6 C rice krispies
- 2 T coconut oil plus a little more for the pan
- Prepare a 9x12” glass pan with a tsp of coconut oil, rubbing the bottom and the sides.
- Pour the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl and nuke it at 100% power in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the rice krispies and 2 T coconut oil and stir stir stir until they’re combined.
- Spread the mixture into the pan, cover, and chill. Cut into squares.