I think many people don’t consider a meal to be complete without meat.
I challenge myself at least once a week to eat a vegan meal. I always feel better about my eating habits when I do. Amaya loves beans so it makes things easy at dinner. I get tired of making them the same way so this recipe from Veganomicon is very handy. You can make these in 15 minutes if you have canned black beans.
I had made some vegan pesto the day before for pasta and did the whole thing to taste in my cuisinart. Pesto isn’t really an exact science anyway so I’ve approximated measurements here. I’m not afraid of tasting and adding as I need anyway. I dipped my finger in there more than once. Sauce is good on sandwiches and the pesto kept me from slathering on the mayo.
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1/2 C nutritional yeast
- olive oil (probably about half a cup)
- big handful of pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 C basil leaves (not packed)
- Blend together in a cuisinart, adding olive oil slowly as you blend. You may have to scrape the sides a few times. Blend for at least a minute for an even consistency. Makes more than 2 cups.
- 2 C black bean (canned is fine) (a mix with some garbanzo beans is good too)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 C and 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 small onion grated on a box grater
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t cumin
- chili powder to taste
- 2 T cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 C water
- 2 T tomato paste
- olive oil
- Mash the black beans in a medium bowl with a fork until most beans are mashed—some half beans still visible. Add the following but do not mix yet: garlic grated with a rasp grater, grated onion, wheat gluten, water, salt, cumin, chili powder, cilantro.
- Mix with a fork and then with hands to knead ingredients together a little. Shape into 6 patties by pressing mixture very firmly together into a ball then pressing into patty about 1/2” thick. Spray both sides of the patty with nonstick spray.
- Heat large fry pan over medium heat. Pour in a thin layer of olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot, put 3 patties into pan. As bean burger cooks, press firmly with a spatula. Flip when first side is browned, about 6 minutes. Cook other side in the same way.