So I wanted to join in the fun. For every split made Foodbuzz donates $$ to Ovarian Cancer Research. Awesome x3.
Ahem. Any excuse to eat ice cream is definitely fun for me. It’s currently 9 am and my daughter is eating a banana split (Yeah, we’ll bash me on my parenting skills later).
My banana split has:
- apple banana (split!) which is a banana we grow here in Hawaii (and probably other places) that is a little smaller and has a tang to it that I prefer to regular bananas
- Chocolate coconut ice cream (recipe follows)
- Tahitian vanilla ice cream (store-bought)
- Kula (local grown) strawberries macerated in sugar
- Caramelized mac nuts (yep, made these myself)
- super dark chocolate sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 1/3 C heavy cream
- 1 can coconut milk (2 Cups)
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar (good quality—I used Valhrona)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for several minutes until the mixture thickens. It will look like the beginning stages of custard.
- Move to a bowl, cover with saran wrap and chill overnight (about 8 hours)
- .Freeze according to ice cream maker directions
Dark Chocolate Sauce (my mother-in-law’s recipe)
- 1 C sugar
- 4 T baking cocoa (I used Hershey’s dark chocolate cocoa, but you can make it a little lighter with regular cocoa)
- 1 T flour
- 2 T butter
- 2/3 C canned milk or a mixture of cream and milk
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa and flour in a saucepan. Put in butter and turn burner to medium. Melt butter and whisk together until the mixture is a paste.
- Add milk slowly, whisking thoroughly after each addition, and wait until it thickens a little before adding more. Mixture should simmer a little.
- Keep stirring and heating until sauce thickens and sugar is completely melted.