Sometimes I just want to make something that only requires me to follow a recipe, and everyone will think I’m a genius when I do.
Do yourself a favor. Follow this recipe. Exactly. And everyone will praise your genius. When you take these out of the oven, you will be saying to yourself, “This is the best idea ever. I am amazing and I make amazing cookies.” Every bite you take you’ll be saying, “Oh my gosh. I can’t believe how awesome I am.” And then hide the cookies, because you will try to eat them all. Believe me.
The girl actually woke up pleased, for once, because I could put a beautiful cookie in her mouth before she started her post-nap syndrome.
Chewy, crispy-edged, melty chocolate, perfect cookies.
Pretty soon you’ll forget that you ever made any mistakes in your life at all.
- Yes, it matters if you use bread flour and cake flour. Special trip to the store. Whatever. DO IT.
- Make the cookie dough balls bigger than your usual ones. They need to be a little bigger.
- Don’t eat all the dough before at least 24 hours is up. 36 hours is optimum, but 27 came out just fine.
- Use cool, unsalted butter. Not rock hard, but not very close to melty, either.
- Do NOT use a silpat. The bottoms won’t be crisp enough. I am completely against silpats for cookie baking anyway.